Sunday, January 10, 2010

Okay, I am officially a liar.  My sincerest apologies.  I ask for your forgiveness from each and everyone of you who have been reading our blog. My taste buds lied. They are completely wrong.  Tonight we had the adventure of a lifetime. Indulge me for a few moments to explain.
 
As you know, we like to experience the world and discover new things.  If you have adopted before, you also know that the island in Guangzhou is not China, rather a place designed to cater to US and other foreigners.  It has real American food; Subway, Lucy's, German, Italian, Starbucks and a 7-11. It is also uber overpriced, granted it is good food.  But its not China. Its like living in a mall.
 
Today we did a western breakfast at the hotel followed by a quick lunch at Subway.  Both April and I were.... ready for some real food for dinner.  From our last trip, we thought we remembered how to find the pedestrian area that led to some shops/food areas.  So we climbed in and through the construction zones trying to find the pedestrian walkway off the island. We found one, it was just the wrong one.  It was busy with people traveling home from work... lots of bikes and walkers... heading into dark alley area with no shops.  Hum.  April asked, "How much further do you want to go?"  --- translate that to "I am ready to head back".  I replied with, lets try around the corner ( about 50 feet).  It started to rain... then rain some more... off to left was a short (literally short as I had to duck my head) pathway under the freeway where people were waiting out the rain.  Hum... a couple of local shops.... uh oh... I see steamed dumplings and noodles.  With confidence we walk in into the eight table place... no menu... everything on the ordering board on the wall is in Chinese.  In the back table there is a lady making dumplings, she says something in Chinese and I just shake my head.  I get a smile back.  She runs over to a dirty table and quickly starts cleaning it off and yelling towards the people in the cooking area. We sit.  She looks.  We look back.  She points to the board.  We shrug.  We get a smile.  She grabs my arm and pulls me back to the kitchen pointing and talking as we go.  I see some steamed dumplings, noodles, some soups, a big vat of chicken parts.  I point and order.  April sees someone eating a plate of rice, chicken, greens, etc.  We point and she agrees.   So we end up with a plate of steamed dumplings, a plate of rice, greens, chicken leg, a 1,000 year old egg, and a soup with small chicken bones. Knowing that there is only one way to eat it, I go for it with a dumpling.  Oh.... my.... word.....yummy..... This is the real deal. At this point, April and the kids dig in.  Greens, yum. Chicken, yum. 1,000 year old egg, soooo good. Soup, yum. April and I are most giddy with delight.   She comes over and delivers an extra bowl for Joel and then grabs my arm again while pointing at Josiah then at some noodles.  I nod.  Another smile.  Then comes a dumpling soup.  It is to die for.  Seriously, the best soup ever. April and I decide that everyone in our group (if they are adventurous enough) need to check this place out.  Yah Hooooo!  We get to go back!  After the food is gone, we need to pay... hum... So I just take out some bills and she picks out the amount.... a 10, another 10, and 2 ones... yah 22 RMB....about $3.  She also was very interested about Josiah and I think we communicated that he was Chinese and was part of our family.  She was concerned about the rain and our only one umbrella, so she gave us hers.  Now that was an experience.
 
Oh, by the way, we also went to a fancy Garden where there is a famous statue with the 5 goats and a run to Carrefour (the French version of Walmart) where we got squeaky shoes... but seriously.... its all about the food right?
 
April here...  I decided I better add in some stuff about Josiah (since despite David's enthusiasm about the food, that is why we are here!)  He has had a fever today.  We are pretty sure it is due to having 5 shots yesterday.  Tylenol is enough to get the fever down, and he is acting fine, just a little more cuddly.  His behavior was actually better today (less tantrums).  Tomorrow we go back to have the TB test read.  His is a little red, but not raised.  I think it should be OK, but we'll see.  If it is bigger than 10 mm he has to have a chest X-ray.
 
So, all in all, we are really enjoying our time here.  Still we are looking forward to going home so we can see the girls.  We miss you Hannah and Olivia!  Wish you were here with us!  Love you!!!


Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft. Get it now.

3 comments:

  1. I love your blogs! Thanks for updating it daily. It's nice to see pics of Josiah, he looks so happy!!! :) And I really enjoy reading about him, and your experiences in China! So glad to hear you guys are enjoying the food. Your last meal at the Chinese place in Guangzhou sounded great! And good deal, 22 RMB, not bad at all. Keep having fun! When are you guys heading back to the states?

    - Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously the greatest story ever! I am soooo hungry, sitting here at lunch eating a package of Ramen noodles wanting to be at that restaurant!

    Crazy Uncle Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I just drooled into my keyboard! Sounds like a great experience - yum. I hope that Josiah is feeling better, poor baby. Hate that they have to have those shots before getting home now. Keep up the great blogging! Hugs, LB

    ReplyDelete