We checked into our hotel, which is probably the nicest in this city. Many steps down from the Garden where we were staying in Guangzhou, but it will work for the night. After waiting for the pouring rain to subside, we ventured out to explore the city. (Don't worry, David, I was careful!) I could see a tall tower pagoda not too far away from the 11th floor of the hotel, so I wanted to try to find it. Fortunately we happened to go down just the right street and found it on our first try. It is one of the few landmarks in this city so I am glad we got to see it up close.
This city is the real deal, real China. Honking horns, more people on bikes and mopeds than cars, people sitting out in front of their garage type stores on every street. I love the sights, sounds, and yes even the smells of this China. I lost count how many people turned around craning their necks to have a look at us while driving away on their moped. I was surprised we didn't witness any crashes, because they sure weren't looking where they were going! We scoped out a few places to eat and chose a little shop that was selling this yummy dumpling soup. It was delicious, and even Jayden ate some. This was his first food (besides plain congee and formula in a bottle). I was so happy to see him being willing to try something new.
Another first for today is that Jayden is now playing with toys with his feet!!! Up until now, he hasn't shown any interest in toys, and just was sitting there looking around. but today, he is picking up toy cups, pushing buttons on a toy phone, and even playing with a little ball!! This is so good to see. He is very patient with his play and will work very hard to situate the toy just the right way so he can pick it up with his toes.
Jayden seems to be feeling better today. Still a bit of a cough, but much better. Tomorrow morning, we visit his orphanage. We will get to see the place where he was found and talk to his nannies. Oh, speaking of nannies, while we were walking around today, the nanny that brought him to Guangzhou spotted us and rode up to us in her moped to say hi. Pretty amazing, considering our hotel is a ways away from the orphanage.
I'm posting from email today because it is too slow of an internet connection here to use the vpn to post. Well, I tried to attach pictures, but it isn't working. I will try a couple on blogger, but it is taking a forever, so I'll post more pics tomorrow night when we get back.
No comments:
Post a Comment