Saturday, June 18, 2011

Orphanage visit







We got back last night from a two day trek down to Gaozhou, the city that Jayden is from. It is very far south, almost as far south as you can get in China. Gaozhou is a small city by Chinese standards, and seems pretty poor. The people are very friendly, and curious.

We got up in the morning on Friday to visit the orphanage,and loaded up in the van, ending up driving only about a block to the orpahanage. I had no idea we were so close. The night before when we went exploring, we went the opposite direction, otherwise we probably would have ran right into the orpahange.

We were ushered into the director's office (there is a director and two vice directors), which by the way is the only air conditioned room in the whole building. I had the opportunity to ask lots of questions about Jayden's first 21 months of life spent in the orphanage and got a few more precious details about his finding. We got to see the play room and two baby rooms. The whole experience was very emotionally draining, and all I can say is that I am so glad we got him when we did and he did not have to spend another night there. Maybe when I get back to the US, I'll write more details. But for now, the pictures should give you an idea.

The long trip down there was worth every minute. Being able to show these pictures to Jayden as he grows up and tell him a few more details about his past is priceless.

4 comments:

  1. What questions did you ask about Jayden? I meet with our DD's orphanage in one week and have no idea what to ask?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi April,
    Great post. So glad it was a good experience, albeit eye opening. You are right that those pictures and info you got will be crucial for Jayden.
    All my best and praying for good travels,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears, April. I've seen this too. It's so hard to picture our kids in that situation, but it is soooo good to hold them now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We didn't get to go to the orphanage. I do have photos the group has posted, and have heard many stories. I would love to hear your thoughts on the SWI though. Our daughter is now 7 and wonders what it was like there. One day we will go visit.
    I am so happy you have your cutie pie of a little boy! It makes one want to hold them tight.

    ReplyDelete